Thermocouple type k
K-type thermocouple is the most common type of thermocouple, because it has the widest operating temperature range.
- Material: Chromel, Alumel ( scientific names are Ni-Cr and Ni-Al, respectively)
- Temperature range: -270 degrees Celsius to 1260 degrees Celsius
- Melting point: 2550 degrees Fahrenheit
- Tolerance: +/- 15K between -40 to 375 degrees Celsius
- Positive wire: non-magnetic, chrome
- Negative wire: Magnetic, Cromwell
Why is K-type thermocouple the most used?
Insulation used in K-type thermocouple :
There are two types of insulation for thermocouples, which are used for type K thermocouples, ceramic insulation and magnesium oxide.
Ceramic insulation used for high temperature applications and can withstand temperatures above 1260 ° C.
- Low thermal mass, meaning it does not retain heat.
- Material: High purity alumina
- High temperature capacity: 1260 ° C
Magnesium oxide insulation:
Magnesium oxide is used in applications where the thermocouples are immersed in a liquid, under conditions of high humidity, corrosive gases and high pressures.
- High dielectric strength
- High response speed
- 97% purity of MgO and AI2O3.
Application of type K thermocouple:
- K-type thermocouples are used for measurement in many different environments such as water, mild chemical solutions, gases and dry areas. Engines, heaters for oil and boilers.
- Used to test the safety of the heating device
- Commonly used in nuclear applications.
Advantages of using K-type thermocouples:
- Good linear
- Good resistance to oxidation below 1000 ° C (1600 ° F)
- Very stable output.
- low price
Disadvantages of K -type thermocouples :
- Not suitable for reducing atmospheres, but will resist metal vapor
- Aging feature emf
- Due to the evaporation of chromium in the positive element, it is not suitable for vacuum applications.
- Cannot be used in sulfur environments, as both can corrode quickly.
Rose Calibration Company in Melbourne, Australia with over ten years of experience provides all calibration, maintenance, and repair services throughout Australia. If you live in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Geelong, and Brisbane, you can receive your quote in less than two hours by fill-up the form via the “Booking” link.