Difference between ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000
The main difference between ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 is that ISO 22000 certification is not certified by GFSI; But FSSC 22000 certification is GFSI certified. What does this mean and does it matter? Another difference lies in the combination of ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000.
Let’s review each and finally distinguish between the two standards ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000.
ISO 22000 definition
- The ISO 22000 standard was first published in 2005 and last updated in 2018; Therefore, ISO 22000: 2018 is the latest version of the ISO 22000 standard.
- ISO 22000: 2018 is a food safety management system implemented by the food industry in the estimation chain. In addition , it focuses on the application of quality assurance systems in accordance with ISO 9001 in the management of food safety management systems.
- ISO 22000: 2018 focuses on management practices, including policies and procedures. This standard specifies a list of pre-programmed PRPs that will definitely work; But it does not explain how to implement these PRPs.
- In other words, ISO 22000: 2018 must be used in combination with ISO technical standards or various Good Performance Standards (GMPs).
- In fact, a company can choose any GMP standard with the minimum requirements, as long as it covers the list of GMPs covered by ISO 22000 certification.
- In addition, ISO 22000 certification is not recognized by the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI).
What is FSSC 22000 ?
- FSSC 22000 version 5.1 was released on June 3, 2019 and has been audited by certification bodies since January 2020.
- GFSI recognizes FSSC 22000 certification.
- FSSC 22000 is composed of ISO 22000 standards, technical standards and independent supplementary standards such as binding requirements.
The initial standard used to obtain FSSC 22000 certifications, version 5.1 and ISO 22000: 2018, depending on the section and in combination with one of the following ISO b technical standards:
- ISO / TS 22002-1: 2009, food production.
- ISO / TS 22002-2: 2013, catering.
- ISO / TS 22002-3: 2011, Agriculture.
- ISO / TS 22002-4: 2013, production of food packaging.
- ISO / TS 22002-6: 2016, feed and livestock production.
- Pass 221: 2013, retail market / store.
- NEN / NTA 8059: 2016, Transport and Protection (ISO 22002-5 on 19 October).
FSSC 22000 also has the following additional requirements:
- services management
- Product label
- Food safety
- Food fraud
- Use the logo
- Allergen management (food chain categories C, E, FI, G, I&K)
- Environmental chain monitoring (food chain category C, I&K)
- Shipping and distribution
It is necessary to pay attention to the fact that for the needs of the customer as well as the laws and regulations of his country, the above additional standards and requirements must be observed.
There are four differences between ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000 :
- ISO 22000 applies only to management systems.
- As long as PRP is implemented as standard, it can be used with other GMP standards.
- GSFI does not recognize ISO 22000 certification.
- FSSC 22000 includes ISO 22000: 2018, ISO specific technical standards and additional requirements. GFSI recognizes FSSC 22000 certification.
Rose Calibration Company in Melbourne, Australia with over ten years of experience provides all calibration, maintenance, and repair services throughout Australia. If you live in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Geelong, and Brisbane, you can receive your quote in less than two hours by fill-up the form via the “Booking” link.