There are various ISO certifications around the world. ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 are two standards of ISO. In the following, we will discuss the differences between the two mentioned ISO standards.
Although there are many ISO standards available to organizations; But two of them are different from the others. According to the 2021 report, ISO 9001: 2015 was recognized as the world’s most popular standard with 878,664 valid certificates. After that, ISO 14001: 2015 took the second place with 307059 valid certificates. The 2005 and 2018 versions of ISO 22000 are in third place with only 32120 valid certificates.
Most well-known organizations adopt ISO 9001 – Quality Management System and ISO 14001 – Environmental Management System. Take. These two are the most important in the world.
The important point is that there are similarities between the two standards. Most notably, both standards meet risk management requirements. Both need to be organized to implement and maintain risk management.
On the other hand, there are differences between them. So if you need to check the certification, you need to make sure that you can implement and adhere to the exact standard.
What is ISO 9001?
ISO 9001: 2015 is an international standard for quality management. You need to implement it to meet customer needs and increase customer satisfaction to set policies and procedures.
ISO 9001 controls the conditions required to meet customer needs. In addition, it determines the processes and resources needed to achieve the desired results.
Whether it is a large or small organization, getting an ISO certification and implementing it will help a lot.
What is ISO 14001?
ISO 14001: 2015 is an international standard for environmental management. The key is to determine the policies and strategies you need to implement to maximize the performance of your environment.
ISO 14001 helps identify objectives and determine the process and resources required to manage environmental impacts. This is done by implementing an Environmental Management System (EMS).
The difference between ISO 9001 and ISO 14001
- Both ISO 9001 and 14001 share ten paragraphs of HLS; But the issue is different for ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. ISO 9001 focuses on quality management and ISO 14001 on environmental management. In the joint paragraphs, the requirements for both ISO 9001 and 14001 are different. This is one of the differences between ISO 9001 and ISO 14001.
- ISO 9001 is a quality management system (QMS) that provides organizations with a systematic approach to achieving customer goals and consistent quality.
- ISO 14001 is an Environmental Management System (EMS) that provides a systematic approach to measuring and improving the environmental impact of organizations.
- In a simple way, ISO 9001 (Performance Evaluation) requires organizations to pursue customer satisfaction. They should examine “customers’ perceptions of whether or not their needs and expectations have been met”, which is not required by ISO 14001.
- In ISO 14001, there are a number of requirements that are not found in ISO 9001. These requirements are contained in paragraph six. Thus, in this paragraph, ISO 14001 has requirements for planning environmental aspects as well as planning for compliance requirements.
- The two ISO standards belong to two different groups of standards set by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). ISO 14001 and its standards group deal with environmental standards, while the ISO 9001 group deals with quality management systems.
- An example of ISO 9001 is that when you apply for a business or manufacturing business, especially when your product is for export, you must meet the standard in order to obtain a license.
- An example for ISO 14001 is the quality of smoke or dust emitted by a particular manufacturer or the quality of water discharged by a manufacturer, which can have adverse effects on the environment.
The above are some of the differences between ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 that should be recognized; Because these ISO standards are popular, and ultimately different organizations and businesses need to know which ISO certification they need for their business.
Rose Calibration Company in Melbourne, Australia with over ten years of experience provides all calibration, maintenance, and repair services throughout Australia. If you live in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Geelong, and Brisbane, you can receive your quote in less than two hours by fill-up the form via the “Booking” link.